These Grilled Potatoes are so simple and easy – they will become your new favorite summer side dish!
A friend of mine posted a photo on Instagram a few weeks ago of their grilled dinner feast, that included some grilled potatoes. It was something I’d never thought of throwing on the barbecue, but once I saw that photo I knew it was going to be my next recipe.
My family went nuts for these potatoes. Grilled potatoes make a delicious side dish for pretty much any of your grilled favorites, from chicken to Tri Tip. The grill infuses so much smoky flavor, that you really don’t need to add much else!
HOW DO YOU GRILL POTATOES?
We start by slicing the potatoes into half-inch thick rounds. This will give them nice flat sides so they don’t roll around on the grill, and will also let the flavor infuse into the flesh. Toss the potato slices into some boiling water to soften them and help speed up the cooking process. Because you’re going to be throwing them on the grill, you just need them partially cooked so they don’t have to stay on the grill for too long and risk burning.
Once the potatoes are parboiled, coat them in some olive oil, garlic and parsley. The oil will keep the potato flesh from drying out and the garlic and parsley will add much needed flavor. Let the potatoes just chill out like that until you’re ready to grill them.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO COOK POTATOES ON THE GRILL?
Grilled Potatoes don’t require a lot of time on the grill. About 10-15 minutes is all it takes, flipping them to get even cooking and grill marks on each side. Once they’re grilled you can just put them back into the same dish to keep them from drying out.
ARE GRILLED POTATOES HEALTHY?
While potatoes are certainly a starchy food and you wouldn’t want to eat a lot of them, grilled potatoes are actually pretty healthy. The skins are rich in fiber, and unlike mashed potatoes, flavor is infused with olive oil and the grill itself, giving a nice smokey taste that doesn’t require a ton of added flavor. There are only about 200 calories in a single serving of this grilled potatoes recipe!
Hungry for more? Try these other delicious potato recipes:
- 3 pounds of Yukon gold potatoes about 8 medium sized potatoes
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley plus more for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add potatoes.
- Scrub potatoes clean. Slice into ½-inch thick slices and place into the boiling water and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Potatoes will not be cooked all the way through.
- Meanwhile, in a large, shallow dish/pan, whisk together olive oil, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pour the olive oil mixture into a shallow dish.
- Drain the potatoes well, patting them dry if necessary, and toss them in the olive oil mixture.
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium heat (350-375 degrees F).
- Shake excess oil off of each potato slice and place onto the grill 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer potatoes to a plate and tent with foil until ready to serve.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and lemon wedges.
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.