Cheesy Tortellini in a creamy, rich Garlic Parmesan sauce. My Garlic Parmesan Tortellini is so indulgent and full of flavor, and the best part is it whips up in just about 20 minutes!
I think if I had to choose, Italian would be my favorite food of all time, and Fettuccine Alfredo would definitely top the list. I finally mastered the art of Alfredo at home a number of years ago, and I started making it a lot. Probably a little too much. It’s probably been a couple of years since I’ve made it at home, and I finally decided it was time, but with a garlicky twist.
TORTELLINI WITH GARLIC PARMESAN SAUCE
To keep this Creamy Garlic Parmesan Tortellini a tad bit lighter, I combined equal parts nonfat milk and heavy cream, along with a lot of garlic and fresh Parmesan. The result was an ultra creamy and delicious meal that took less than 20 minutes to make.
The sauce and tortellini are cooked separately to keep the pasta from getting too mushy. Once the sauce is cooked, the fresh, hot tortellini are tossed with it, and some fresh cracked black pepper and chopped parsley to add another dimension of flavor.
HOW TO MAKE A CREAMY GARLIC PARMESAN SAUCE
- Start by melting butter in a large saute pan and add lots of fresh minced garlic. Cook the garlic for about 30 seconds to a minute or until it’s fragrant.
- Whisk in some flour and cook for about 2 minutes, until it starts to bubble and turn a golden color.
- Whisk in nonfat milk and heavy cream and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture starts to thicken. Use any combination of milk/cream that you like – all heavy cream, no heavy cream, lowfat or whole milk.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in freshly grated Parmesan until it’s completely melted. Add more milk or more cheese as needed until you are happy with the consistency and taste.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Toss the tortellini with the Garlic Parmesan sauce serve, garnished with fresh minced parsley.
HOW TO THICKEN A GARLIC PARMESAN CREAM SAUCE
If your sauce isn’t thick enough for your taste, there are a few things you can do.
- Add a couple ounces of cream cheese. Stir in to the warm sauce until it melts.
- Add a couple tablespoons of pasta water and simmer. The water used to boil the pasta is starchy and will help to thicken the sauce.
- Add cornstarch. Whisk together a couple teaspoons of water with a teaspoon of cornstarch, then whisk that into the Garlic Parmesan sauce. and simmer until thickened.
For more delicious and easy pasta and tortellini dishes, be sure to try these:
- Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage & Spinach
- Creamy Lemon Artichoke Tortellini Skillet
- 15 Minute Broccoli Tortellini Alfredo
- Spicy Lemon, Bacon and Asparagus Pasta
- Spaghetti Pomodoro with 15 Minute Homemade Meatballs
- Roasted Garlic and Red Pepper Alfredo
- One Pan Garlic Parmesan Pasta
Garlic Parmesan TortelliniPrint Pin Rate
- 1-20 oz package Fresh Tortellini or 2- 9 oz
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- Cook Tortellini in a pot of boiling, salted water, according to package directions.
- Melt butter in a saute pan and add garlic. Cook for about 30 seconds, add flour and cook for 2 minutes, until it starts to turn a golden color.
- Whisk in milk and heavy cream and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to thicken (about 3-4 minutes).
- Remove pan from heat and gently stir in the freshly grated Parmesan, stirring constantly until completely melted. Add more milk or more cheese as need until you are happy with the consistency.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Toss Tortellini in the sauce and divide into bowls.
- Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.