Cinnamon and apples are a natural combination, and just scream fall. This Snickerdoodle Apple Cobbler has just the right amount of sweet and tart, and is the perfect warm dessert for fall.
A few months ago, I shared a Sugar Cookie Berry Cobbler that was amazingly delicious. My entire family loved it. I knew I wanted to try that sugar cookie technique again for fall and apples were of course the perfect choice.
Everybody loves a good Snickerdoodle, so I thought why not put all of those elements together for the PERFECT dessert?
Fresh, tart apples (no pie filling here!) are thinly sliced and tossed with white and brown sugar, cinnamon and flour then spread in a baking dish. For the crumble topping, a stick of softened butter is combined with a package of sugar cookie dough and a whole bunch more cinnamon.
*Sidenote – did you know that you can make Snickerdoodles like that? You can! They’re basically a sugar cookie rolled in cinnamon, so the next time you have a craving and don’t want to measure out all those ingredients, just use the Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix! Make the dough, then roll into balls and into a mix of cinnamon and sugar. Voila!
Ok back to the recipe – Sprinkle a good amount of cinnamon sugar over the crumble topping and bake. That’s it! It’s so easy, doesn’t require a ton of ingredients and is something everybody will want seconds on! Top with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce for the ultimate indulgence!
- 6 cups thinly sliced apples (granny smith, honeycrisp or pink lady work best)
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar + 2 tablespoons for topping
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup sifted flour
- 3 tablespoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pouch (1 lb. 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) softened butter (room temperature - not melted)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- In a stand mixer, combine softened butter, sugar cookie mix and 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon at medium speed just until combined and crumbly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, brown sugar and ⅓ cup of granulated sugar. Gently toss the sliced apples in the flour mixture until completely coated.
- Spread apples evenly in the prepared baking dish. Top with crumbled sugar cookie mixture, careful to crumble, not press, the dough.
- Combine 2 tablespoons granulated sugar with 1 tablespoon cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until top is completely golden brown and apples are bubbly.
- Serve warm, cold or at room temperature, topped with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.
For more delicious fall desserts, try these: