Summer is coming and if you are on the lookout for a fresh and easy appetizer to serve at your next party or get together, the Skinny Southwest Chicken Dip is perfect! Full of tender white meat chicken and loads of veggies and spices this is a healthy Southwest Chicken Salad that can be served as an appetizer or a main course!
This recipe was originally posted in 2013.
SKINNY SOUTHWEST CHICKEN SALAD
Remember the movie “Mermaids?” The mom only had one cookbook and it was for finger foods, so that’s all she knew how to cook – everything was on a stick! I could totally live my life eating like that. Finger foods, dips, appetizers, yeah those are my loves.
Unfortunately, those types of foods are generally not that good for you. They usually taste amazing, but they aren’t amazing for your waistline. Unless, that is, you’re indulging in this amazing Skinny Southwest Chicken Dip. It’s definitely doesn’t taste healthy, but it really is!
DIFFERENT WAYS TO ENJOY SKINNY SOUTHWEST CHICKEN SALAD
- Serve as a dip with tortilla chips or pita crisps.
- Wrap in a tortilla or lettuce cups.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce or in a pita pocket for a lo-carb lunch.
- Spread between two slices of toasted wheat bread for a delicious sandwich.
I love that it’s healthy, and my kids practically demand the stuff! We had a “leftovers night” not to long ago, and this was his choice over everything else! It’s got tons of vegetables, like peppers, tomatoes and corn, black beans and chicken for protein and Greek yogurt with lots of southwest seasonings.
WHAT’S IN A SOUTHWEST CHICKEN SALAD?
- Shredded chicken breast
- Black beans
- Bell peppers
- Green onions
- Lime juice
- Greek yogurt
- Taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper
The salt will be an important element of this recipe, because it will amp up all of the other ingredients, so if the salad seems bland to you, add salt.
HOW TO MAKE SOUTHWEST CHICKEN SALAD
This Southwest Chicken Salad could not be easier to make! Simply combine the ingredients together in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper and a few squeezes of lime juice. Enjoy as a salad or serve with chips for a delicious Southwest Chicken Dip!
My son has already requested to take this in his lunch during the school year. I think he thinks he’s getting away with something because he eats it with tortilla chips. I’m just happy he’s actually eating something other than chicken nuggets!
If you liked this Skinny Southwest Chicken Appetizer, you’ll love:
- Lightened Up Broccoli Pasta Salad with Grapes
- Tropical Chicken Pasta Salad
- Skinny Taco Dip
- Creamy Chicken, Apple and Grape Salad
Skinny Southwest Chicken Salad recipePrint Pin Rate
- 1 1/2 cups Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1-2 tablespoons Taco seasoning to taste
- 2 cups shredded or diced boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- 6 mini sweet peppers or one large orange red or yellow pepper, diced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can corn drained
- Salt to taste
- Lime juice to taste
- Mix yogurt and seasonings in a small bowl and set aside while you prep the rest of your ingredients.
- Mix chicken, veggies, and beans in a large bowl.
- Add yogurt mixture and combine well to coat.
- Add salt to taste.
- Can be served immediately, but if possible, allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.