This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Discover a delicious and healthy recipe for Skinny Southwest Chicken Salad that’s packed with flavor and easy to make. Enjoy a taste of the Southwest in every bite!
My favorite thing about this Southwest Chicken Salad recipe is that it is so versatile. Serve it as a dip with tortilla chips or on a bed of lettuce for a low-carb lunch!Pin this recipe for later!
Table of Contents
Why We Love It
- Good for you – With healthy, fresh ingredients like chicken, bell peppers, black beans, and Greek yogurt you get a delicious lunch or snack without worrying about the calories or carbs.
- Customizable – You can really put just about any vegetables you like into this salad. Use up leftovers in your fridge. Shredded carrots, diced celery, chopped broccoli, or cucumbers will all pair nicely with the southwest dressing.
- Versatile – Whether you enjoy it for a snack, as an appetizer or as a full meal, they are lots of ways to serve this salad!
- Bold flavor and texture – From the savory taco seasoning to the crunch of the sweet peppers, this salad is like a party in your mouth!
How To Make Southwest Chicken Salad
This easy to make salad is perfect for lunch, dinner, or an afternoon snack. It also makes a great lighter option for game day parties and potlucks.
See recipe card below for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- In a medium bowl, combine Greek yogurt, taco seasoning, and some lime juice to taste. Season with salt and black pepper as desired. Set aside to give the flavors time to blend while you chop the veggies.
- Add chicken, black beans, and vegetables to a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the chicken and veggies and gently mix until everything is blended and well-coated. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Absolutely! Feel free to add or remove ingredients based on your preferences. I’ve provided some suggestions to make it your own.
This salad is a healthy choice, rich in lean protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It’s also low-carb and lowfat, depending on how you serve it. It’s a great option for those looking for a balanced meal.
Yes, you can prepare and assemble the salad up to a day in advance. Store in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator. Give it a good stir just before serving. If the dressing is too thick, add a couple tablespoons of milk to loosen it up a bit.
The best way to season is to do it in layers. Sprinkle salt over the veggies and chicken before adding the dressing. Add salt and seasonings to the dressing itself, and add salt after mixing together if needed. You can also add garlic powder, chili powder or more taco seasoning.
- Serve as a dip with tortilla chips or pita crisps.
- Wrap in a tortilla or in lettuce cups.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce with crispy tortilla strips for a lo-carb lunch.
- Spread between two slices of toasted wheat bread in a pita pocket for a delicious sandwich.
Additions and Variations
This salad is fully customizable to suit your needs, based on diet or personal preference. Here are some suggestions for additions and substitutions:
Additions – Add diced avocado, shredded carrots, chopped cilantro, red onion or diced cucumbers.
Spicy – Add a kick of heat by including diced jalapeños or a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Seasoning – In addition to the taco seasoning, add garlic powder, black pepper or more chili powder.
- Do make sure that you season the ingredients with salt in layers. It will help to amplify all of the other ingredients, so if the salad seems bland to you, add salt.
- If you’re cooking chicken specifically for this recipe, try my Crockpot Chicken Tacos for an added punch of flavor.
- Use a mix of fresh lettuce and spinach for a vibrant and nutritious base.
- Prepare the dressing ahead of time to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Don’t forget to drain and rinse canned beans and corn for a lighter salad.
- Top the salad with crushed tortilla chips or crispy tortilla strips.
More Lightened Up Snacks
- Broccoli Pasta Salad
- Tropical Chicken Pasta Salad
- Skinny Taco Dip
- Creamy Chicken, Apple and Grape Salad
- Avocado Egg Salad
Skinny Southwest Chicken Salad
- 1 1/2 cups Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded or diced boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- 1 cup diced mini sweet peppers or 1 large bell pepper (any color)
- 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can corn drained
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Lime juice to taste
- Mix yogurt, taco seasoning, lime juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl and set aside while you prep the rest of your ingredients. *Adjust the salt, pepper and lime juice to your liking – taste as you go.
- Add chicken, vegetables, and beans in a large bowl. Season with a couple pinched of salt and stir to combine.
- Add yogurt mixture to the chicken and veggies and gently combine until well mixed.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Can be served immediately, but if possible, refrigerate for 1-3 hours to allow flavors to meld together. Can be made up to 24 hours in advance.