Last updated on
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Easy Slow Cooker Mushroom Chicken is a family favorite. The creamy mushroom sauce is perfect to serve over noodles, rice, or potatoes.
If you have a long day ahead of you, throw these few ingredients in the slow cooker in the morning and end your day with a comforting meal that takes very little work. Serve this mushroom chicken with buttered noodles, rice pilaf, or make ahead mashed potatoes.
There are few things I appreciate more than knowing that dinner is cooking while I’m at work or off doing errands. This easy Slow Cooker Mushroom Chicken only takes a few minutes to prep and you can let it cook low and slow all day.
Mushroom Sauce Ingredients
The mushroom sauce is super simple but yields an incredible flavor when cooked with the chicken. It’s just condensed cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, chicken broth and minced garlic. It gets poured over the seasoned chicken and cooks together to form a thick, creamy, delicious sauce.
How to Make Slow Cooker Mushroom Chicken
- Season the chicken. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with salt, pepper, paprika, and onion powder.
- Make the mushroom sauce. In a medium bowl, mix together the sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, chicken broth, and minced garlic. Stir in the sliced mushrooms until evenly distributed.
- Slow cook it. Lay the seasoned chicken into the slow cooker and pour the mushroom sauce over the top. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
- Serve it. I like to serve the mushroom chicken over egg noodles but it is also great over rice or mashed potatoes.
Make Ahead, Storage and Freezer Tips
Make Ahead: Because this dish only takes minutes to throw together, other than putting it all into the slow cooker, there isn’t much to do ahead of time.
Storing Leftovers: This mushroom chicken serves 4-6 so if you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stovetop.
Freezing: You can freeze prepared mushroom chicken in a freezer bag or freezer safe container for up to a month. To thaw the frozen portion, you can put it back in the slow cooker for a couple hours on low to come to temperature.
What do you serve with mushroom chicken?
I like to serve this mushroom chicken over egg noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes. It’s also really tasty over German Spaetzle. I always pair it with a vegetable side like green beans, broccoli, or carrots.
Mushroom Chicken Recipe Notes and Tips
- Which type of chicken should I use? I use boneless skinless chicken breasts. If you are short on time, you can butterfly the breasts and they will cook in 2-3 hours on HIGH.
- Should I use fresh mushrooms? I use fresh sliced mushrooms. You can find them in the produce section, pre-washed and pre-sliced which make them really convenient. You can also use canned mushrooms if that’s what you have on hand or prefer.
- How to thicken mushroom gravy: If the mushroom chicken sauce is too thin for your taste, add a little bit of cornstarch slurry. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 1-2 tablespoon of water. Pour this into the crockpot and give it a stir. Cover and continue cooking on low for 10 minutes or until thickened. It should thicken pretty quickly.
More Slow Cooker Meals to Try
- Crockpot Honey Bourbon Chicken
- Creamy Ranch Slow Cooker Chicken
- Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast
- Crockpot Lemon Chicken
- Slow Cooker Crack Chicken Sandwiches
Slow Cooker Mushroom Chicken
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 3 medium-large breasts)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 10.5 ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or 1 clove fresh minced garlic
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms 2-3 cups
- (optional garnish) fresh minced parsley
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, paprika, and onion powder and arrange in the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, stir sour cream, condensed cream of mushroom soup, chicken broth, and minced garlic and until fully combined. Stir in the fresh sliced mushrooms.
- Pour the mushroom sauce over the chicken. Cover and cook for 4 hours on HIGH or 6 hours on LOW.
- Garnish with fresh minced parsley (optional) before serving.