This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This easy Mushroom Chicken is a family favorite meal that’s cooked low and slow in your slow cooker. The chicken and creamy mushroom sauce is perfect to serve over noodles, rice, or potatoes.
Serve this mushroom chicken with buttered noodles, rice pilaf, or make ahead mashed potatoes.Pin this recipe for later!
Table of Contents
Why I Love This Meal
- Set it and forget it – If you have a long day ahead of you, throw these few ingredients in the slow cooker in the morning and end your day with a comforting meal that takes very little work.
- Very little prep – This easy Slow Cooker Mushroom Chicken only takes a few minutes to prep and you can let it cook low and slow all day.
- That creamy sauce – The ultra-creamy sauce is made from condensed cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, and mushrooms. It is so rich and satisfying you’re going to want to drink it up!
How To Make Slow Cooker Mushroom Chicken
Get a detailed list of ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below.
- Season the chicken. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with salt, pepper, paprika, and onion powder.
- Make the mushroom sauce. In a medium bowl, mix together the cream of mushroom soup, chicken broth, and minced garlic. Stir in the sliced mushrooms until evenly distributed.
- Slow cook it. Lay the seasoned chicken into the slow cooker and pour the mushroom sauce over the top. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours or HIGH for 4 hours. Mix the sour cream into the sauce until it is combined.
- Serve it. I like to serve the mushroom chicken over egg noodles but it is also great over rice or mashed potatoes.
How To Thicken Mushroom Gravy
If the mushroom sauce is too thin for your taste, add a little bit of cornstarch slurry:
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 1-2 tablespoons of water.
- Pour this into the crockpot and give it a stir. Cover and continue cooking on low for 10 minutes or until thickened. It should thicken pretty quickly.
Make Ahead, Storage, and Freezer Tips
Make Ahead: Because this dish only takes minutes to throw together, other than putting it all into the slow cooker, there isn’t much to do ahead of time.
Storing Leftovers: This mushroom chicken serves 4-6 so if you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stovetop.
Freezing: You can freeze prepared mushroom chicken in a freezer bag or freezer safe container for up to a month. To thaw the frozen portion, you can put it back in the slow cooker for a couple hours on low to come to temperature.
I use boneless skinless chicken breasts. If you are short on time, you can butterfly the breasts and they will cook in 2-3 hours on HIGH.
I use fresh sliced mushrooms. You can find them in the produce section, pre-washed and pre-sliced which make them really convenient. You can also use canned mushrooms if that’s what you have on hand or prefer.
I like to serve this mushroom chicken over egg noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes. It’s also really tasty over German Spaetzle. I always pair it with a vegetable side like green beans, broccoli, or carrots.
- For evenly cooked chicken, it’s important to ensure the chicken breasts are roughly the same size and thickness. Gently pound them if needed.
- I highly recommend using fresh mushrooms. While you can use canned mushrooms, they won’t taste the same.
- Do not overcook the chicken – Chicken breasts are notorious for being easy to overcook. Do not cook longer than suggested.
More Slow Cooker Recipes
- Crockpot Honey Bourbon Chicken
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos
- Crockpot Spaghetti
- Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast
- Crockpot Lemon Chicken
- Slow Cooker Crack Chicken Sandwiches
Slow Cooker Mushroom Chicken
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 3 medium-large breasts)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 10.5 ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or 1 clove fresh minced garlic
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms 2-3 cups
- (optional garnish) fresh minced parsley
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, paprika, and onion powder and arrange in the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, stir condensed cream of mushroom soup, chicken broth, and minced garlic and mix until fully combined. Stir in the fresh sliced mushrooms.
- Pour the mushroom sauce over the chicken. Cover and cook for 4 hours on HIGH or 6 hours on LOW.
- Add the sour cream at the end of the cooking time by scooping out a little of the broth, whisking in the sour cream to warm it up, then pour it all back in to the slow cooker.
- Garnish with fresh minced parsley (optional) before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
I’ve made this before but I add the sour cream at the very end because sour cream curdles when cooked over high heat. You can see evidence of the curdling pieces in the gravy in the picture.
Making this for dinner tonite! It already smells fabulous!
Nice! Let us know in the comments how it turned out. Thanks for stopping by Chelle.
Made this using thighs, swapped 1/4 cup white wine for the stock. AHH-MAZING!!!!! This dish will definitely go into our rotation!! Thanx for another Dinner Winner!