This Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup has all the flavors of our favorite Enchiladas, no rolling required! It’s an easy recipe to whip up on a busy weeknight.
As long as I can remember, Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas have been one of my favorite things to make, and to enjoy. I shared my recipe a few months back, and it’s been popular here on the blog, too! The casserole is so easy to make, and this soup is even easier!
This is basically that favorite recipe in soup form, except for the addition of some salsa just to help add a little more heat and flavor.
If you’ve been with us for long enough, you know how much I like easy recipes. Well this one couldn’t be easier. It starts with sauteed onions and garlic, then cooked, shredded chicken, chicken broth, salsa, enchilada sauce and green chiles. All of that yumminess is simmered for about 20 minutes and then comes the cheese. Cream cheese, cheddar cheese and jack cheese make this soup rich and creamy.
You can serve this soup just like this, or you could add some cooked white rice, or even a cup of my favorite Mexican Rice. Wow, wouldn’t that be amazing?! Finally top it with some pretty garnishes like sour cream, shredded cheese, tortilla strips and cilantro. Serve it up and watch it disappear!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces fire roasted green chiles
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 1 cup salsa
- 10-ounce can green chile enchilada sauce
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken stock
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar and/or jack cheeses
- 4-ounces cream cheese
- 2-3 corn tortillas
- Garnish (optional):
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Heat olive oil in a heavy bottomed soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, 4-5 minutes or until soft. Stir in garlic and cook for 30-45 seconds. Add green chiles, chicken, salsa, chicken stock and enchilada sauce.Bring to a boil, then cover and turn heat to low. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Stir in cheeses until completely melted and combined.
- Cut tortillas into ½ inch strips and place several strips in the bottom of each bowl. Ladle soup over the tortilla strips and serve with optional garnishes (sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro) and a squeeze of lime.
For more great soup recipes, try these: