This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Healthy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas are a quick and easy 30-minute meal. Chicken, bell peppers, onions, and a delicious blend of Mexican spices are tossed together and baked on a sheet pan for a dinner that’s sure to be a new family favorite!
Chicken fajitas have been standard dinner-time faire at my house for years. They are so easy to make with just a few fresh ingredients and some fajita seasoning. The chicken is juicy and flavorful and the vegetables tender and crisp. I highly suggest serving these baked chicken fajitas with shredded cheddar cheese, fresh lime juice, and a bit of extra cilantro. All stuffed into warm homemade flour tortillas, they are perfect for a busy weeknight, or for feeding a crowd when you double the recipe.
I think I could make chicken fajitas for dinner every night and my family would never complain, we just love them so much! I usually don’t have much for leftovers after feeding our family of five.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken breast – chicken fajitas are usually made with white meat, but thighs could be used as well if it’s the flavor you prefer. Cut the chicken to strips before baking.
- Bell peppers – you’ll need 3 peppers, any color you choose. I like the sweeter flavor of yellow and orange but red and green are also fine. Remove the seeds and membranes from the peppers.
- Onions – sliced in strips the same size as the bell peppers.
- Limes – squeeze over the top to brightness to the finished fajitas.
- Cilantro – A controversial ingredient, so you can either use it or omit it.
- Fajita seasoning – salt and pepper.
How to Make Chicken Fajitas
These sheet pan fajitas can be yours in less than 30 minutes and with little more effort than chopping up some chicken and veggies.
- Make the fajita seasoning and toss with the strips of chicken and veggies.
- Arrange the chicken and vegetables on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes at 425 degrees F.
- Remove from the oven and stuff flour tortillas with the chicken and peppers.
Chicken Fajitas Toppings
Chicken fajitas are typically served without many toppings, since they are already stuffed full of meat and veggies. I like to sprinkle on some shredded cheddar and my husband needs sour cream and guacamole.
Customize your fajitas for everyone by adding other veggies, top with tomatoes, cheese, lettuce and salsa.
What do you serve with Chicken Fajitas?
Mexican food is known for it’s traditional side dishes like Mexican Rice, Slow Cooker Mexican Beans, Cilantro Lime Rice or Refried Beans. Of course the fajitas are pretty filling on their own so if you have enough you wouldn’t need to serve any sides at all. But I always serve some rice at least.
Recipe Notes and Tips
Make Ahead: You can prep all of the ingredients a day in advance. Keep chicken separate from the veggies until you’re ready to cook.
Leftover storage: Store any leftover chicken fajitas without the tortillas in an airtight container. Reheat in the microwave or in the oven.
Freezing: Cool completely, then arrange chicken fajitas on a sheet pan with parchment paper and pop into the freezer. Once solid (1-2 hours) transfer to a freezer safe container or resealable plastic bag.
Tortillas: Flour tortillas are best as they’re fluffy and soft. You can heat them in a cast iron skillet to get some of that char on the edges. Corn tortillas will work if the have been grilled and softened, but they are not traditional for chicken fajitas.
More Mexican Inspired Recipes to Love
- How to Make Tamales
- Chicken Taco Casserole
- Carne Asada Fries
- How to Make Homemade Taquitos
- Ground Beef Enchiladas
- Mexican Sopes
Baked Chicken Fajitas
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast or chicken tenders
- 1 yellow bell pepper seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 orange bell pepper seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and sliced into strips
- ½ red onion sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ cup cilantro optional, for garnish
- Optional, for serving: flour tortillas, sour cream, shredded cheese lime wedges, or serve with rice optional, for serving
- In a small bowl, whisk ingredients together. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- To a medium bowl, add the strips of bell peppers and onion, oil and lime juice. Sprinkle about ⅓ of the fajita seasoning over the vegetables and toss to coat.
- Cut chicken into strips and place in a separate medium bowl, add the chicken. Sprinkle the remaining fajita seasoning and stir to coat.
- Transfer chicken and veggies to a sheet pan and spread out evenly. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until chicken has cooked through. Check for doneness with a digital meat thermometer - it should register 165 degrees F.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh cilantro for garnish. Serve with flour tortillas, shredded cheese, sour cream and lime wedges.