French Toast Bake is an easy and delicious Sunday brunch or lazy Saturday morning favorite. Add in ripe, juicy strawberries sandwiched between sweet Hawaiian bread and baked French Toast style and this casserole will steal the show!
Simplicity is key for me when it comes to breakfast, but I want it to be just as pretty as it is delicious. Luckily this Strawberry French Toast Bake is both! I like to make it part of a whole fancy brunch spread with Baked Egg Muffins and a Pineapple Strawberry Mimosa.
I have become a little addicted to french toast bake recipes since making my Pumpkin Pie Baked French Toast last fall. Both of my kids love them too, so it’s not hard to get them to sit down and eat breakfast when I make this. Since it’s strawberry season, I figured what better fruit to add to my favorite breakfast recipe?
What is Baked French Toast?
A French Toast Bake is known by many names, like Baked French Toast or French Toast Casserole. It’s made with torn pieces of bread, like french bread or sweet Hawaiian bread soaked in a custard mixture of eggs, milk and sugar. Vanilla or other flavorings can be added as well as spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. Adding butter to the top just before baking helps to create a golden, slightly crunchy, slightly chewy crust.
Sometimes I add fruit like blueberries, bananas or strawberries. You can even add a layer of sweetened cream cheese like we did with this creamy Blueberry Baked French Toast.
One of the best things about these breakfast bakes is that you can prepare them ahead of time, storing in the fridge overnight. This helps the bread to soak in the custard, and all you have to do in the morning is pop it in the oven! It’s a perfect holiday breakfast for Christmas, Easter, Father’s Day or any other time you want to start the day with a little something extra special. While most recipes can be prepared and baked right away, letting it soak overnight helps to create a softer and more flavorful french toast.
How To Make Strawberry French Toast Bake
It really couldn’t be easier to make. Just think of how you normally make french toast – eggs, milk, sugar, and bread, right? Toss in some strawberries and you’ve got this! Slice the strawberries thin and sandwich them between two layers of bread cubes, and then on top with a butter and brown sugar crumble. I think most people typically will use french bread for french toast, but I prefer to use a loaf of King’s Hawaiian Bread. It’s got a nice sweetness and holds up to the egg mixture really well.
- Cut the bread into cubes, or just tear it apart with your hands, into 1-2 inch cubes. Layer the bread in a large baking dish, with sliced strawberries in between the layers and on top.
- Mix up some eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla and pour that over the bread, pressing gently with your hands to make sure the mixture coats all of the bread.
- Make the topping by combing flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. Use a pastry cutter if you have one, or just two forks. The mixture should resemble coarse crumbs. Sprinkle that on top of the bread and strawberries.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, or bake immediately.
Pro Tips and Tricks
- I like to use my egg slicer to get nice even cuts for my strawberries. An egg slicer isn’t just for eggs! Use it to chop strawberries, mushrooms, bananas, and even soft cheese!).
- For a more rustic french toast bake, tear the bread into chunks instead of slicing.
- Be creative with the fruit! You can use a mixture of berries, or even bananas.
- How Long do You Bake a French Toast Casserole? Ideally, you would wrap it up and chill it overnight in the fridge so it’s ready to bake the next morning. You can bake this casserole right away, or refrigerate overnight to make in the morning. Bake time is about 45-50 minutes.
- Can You Freeze Baked French Toast? Yes, as long as you store it properly. Cool the casserole then remove from the pan within two hours of baking. Wrap tightly with foil or plastic wrap and store in a freezer bag. To reheat, place the casserole in a baking dish or on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until hot.
More French Toast Recipes
- Gingerbread French Toast Casserole
- S’mores French Toast
- French Toast Cinnamon Roll Pull Apart Muffins
- Or, learn how to make Classic French Toast
More Strawberry Recipes
- Strawberry Salad
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Whole Wheat Strawberry Muffins
- Lemonade Strawberry IceBox Cake
- Strawberry Brownies
- Strawberry Pound Cake
Strawberry French Toast Bake
- 1 loaf Hawaiian Bread or french bread
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups sliced strawberries about 1 pint
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter cubed
- In a small bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or your fingers to combine until it resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
Strawberry French Toast
- If planning to bake immediately, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use butter (or cooking spray) to lightly grease an 9"x13" baking dish.
- Wash strawberries and remove the stems. Cut into thin slices. Pro tip: Use an egg slicer for the berries if you have one.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. Set aside
- Tear or cut bread into 1-2" cubes. Layer half of the bread in the baking dish, then layer half of the sliced strawberries. Repeat with the remaining bread and sliced strawberries.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over bread and strawberries. Gently press down on the bread so the egg mixture soaks into every piece, but careful not to smoosh the strawberries. Sprinkle topping evenly on top.
- If making ahead: Cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Let the casserole sit out while the over preheats to 350 degrees F. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or up to an hour if needed. Allow to cool and set for 10 minutes.
- If baking immediately: Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 45-50 minutes. Allow to cool and set for 10 minutes. Serve warm, preferably with syrup and whipped cream!