Air Fryer Egg Rolls have a flavorful southwest-style filling in a crispy, crunchy wrapper. Dunk them in a zesty dip and you’re in for a delicious appetizer!
Air Fryer Southwest Egg Rolls Recipe
Have you ever been to a restaurant that has Southwest Egg Rolls on their appetizer menu? Oh my goodness, they’re simply delicious. They’re usually filled with a mixture of chicken, cheese, corn, beans and a tex-mex seasoning blend. They’re fried until perfectly crisp and served with a smooth and creamy dip. Never had one? You’re missing out!
Luckily, I’ve come up with a healthier version of these egg rolls that you can make from scratch at home!
How to Make Egg Rolls in the Air Fryer
Making egg rolls in the air fryer gives the same appearance and texture as one that was deep-fried, with a whole lot less oil! Plus it’s really easy to do:
- Make the filling. For this southwest version, you’ll need veggies, black beans, shredded cheese, chicken and seasonings. Shredded chicken breast, leftover rotisserie chicken, anything works.
- Assemble. Lay out a wrapper and add about ½ cup of filling into the center of the square. Then, you’ll brush egg wash around the outer edges of the wrapper. Fold two opposite corners in over the filling, so the points are almost touching. Then fold another corner in so it’s covering the filling and continue rolling until it’s closed, making sure it’s tightly sealed. If necessary, add a little extra egg wash to seal it.
- Cook. Place the egg rolls onto a sheet pan lined with waxed or parchment paper. Don’t let them touch or they might stick together. Place a few egg rolls in the air fryer basket, making sure they’re not touching each other and cook at 375 degrees for 5 minutes. Use tongs to flip each piece and continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy on the outside. Continue to cook in batches until all of the egg rolls are done.
What to do with leftovers
Allow egg rolls to cool completely before storing. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
I recommend reheating egg rolls in the air fryer. Whether they’re these homemade southwest egg rolls or the ones from your favorite take-out restaurant, using the air fryer is the way to go.
Eggs rolls, or really, anything fried or air-fried, are meant to have a crunchy exterior and a moist interior. Although the microwave will warm them back up, they’ll end up with an exterior that has a less-than-ideal texture.
To reheat egg rolls in the air fryer, set the air fryer to 350°F and add 2-4 at a time. Each batch will take around 5 minutes, depending on the size of your air fryer and how many rolls you add to the pan.
As you may have noticed, I recommend reheating the egg rolls at a lower temperature (350°F) than when cooking them for the first time (375°F). The reason for this is that the interior needs time to warm up and if you have the temperature too hot, the exterior will burn before the filling is warm.
The dip that goes with this recipe is quite simple and adds great flavor and creaminess to the crispy egg rolls. You can also serve with salsa or pico de gallo, guacamole, hot sauce and/or cheesy queso.
Other Warm Appetizer Recipes
Health(ier) Appetizer and Snack Recipes
Air Fryer Southwest Egg Rolls
- Air Fryer
- 1 cup corn kernels frozen or canned (drained)
- 1 cup black beans rinsed and drained
- ½ cup finely diced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup finely diced jalapeno pepper
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 3 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup buttermilk ranch dressing or light ranch dressing
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the corn, black beans, bell pepper, jalapenos, green onions, chicken, cheese and seasonings; set aside.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to whisk together the egg and water.
- Scoop ½ cup of the chicken mixture onto an egg roll wrapper. Brush the egg wash around the outside of the egg roll. Fold in two sides of the wrapper so the points almost touch. Then fold the top in and tightly roll up the egg roll and place on a sheet pan lined with waxed or parchment paper. Repeat with the remainder of the chicken mixture.
- Lightly brush each egg roll with vegetable oil. Place egg rolls in an air fryer and cook at 375°F for 5 minutes. Make sure there is space between each egg roll - cook in batches if needed.
- Use a tongs to flip the egg rolls and continue cooking for 3-5 more minutes or until the exterior is golden brown and crispy. (Cooking times can vary greatly depending on the brand and size of your air fryer. I did four at a time at 375°F and it took between 8-10 minutes total.)
- While the egg rolls are in the air fryer, combine the sour cream, ranch dressing and taco seasoning to make the zesty dip. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Optional Zesty Dip
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, ranch dressing and taco seasoning for the zesty dip. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve the egg rolls warm with zesty dip on the side.