These crunchy Ten Minute Oven Baked Tostadas are take just minutes to make and are much better for you than frying. Add any of your favorite toppings and you’ve got a delicious, family friendly meal in a flash!
This post has been updated from 2013.
Having dinner on the table in under twenty minutes is always a goal for me. There are so many different simple recipes to make. Oven Baked Tostadas are one of our favorites and are on the menu at least twice a month.
Start with corn tortillas, spread out on a foil lined cookie sheet. Brush lightly with oil and sprinkle with salt (optional). I actually just drizzle with oil and then rub it all over with my hands.
Bake the tortillas in a preheated 400 degree oven for approximately four minutes per side, or until they are crispy and golden on each side. Remember that they will continue to crisp as they cool.
Beautiful right? Brown food tastes good!
Now comes the fun part. Spread refried beans (try my recipe for homemade refried beans – so yummy and so much better for you!), and cheese and your favorite toppings – lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, olives, onions…the list goes on! We like to add slow cooker chicken, slow cooker beef, or slow cooker carnitas too.
I used my own
chopped house salad mix with romaine lettuce and shredded carrots, and both cheddar and cotija cheeses. But you can totally mix it up with the cheeses too! I mean, that’s the best part – These Ten Minute Oven Baked Tostadas are completely customized to suit your tastes and your family.
- Corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil
- Your favorite tostada toppings (beans, chicken, beef, lettuce, cheese, etc.)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Arrange as many tortillas as will fit on the baking sheet without overlapping. (I can get 6 on mine - if you need more than that, bake in batches or bake two sheets at a time, rotating halfway through).
- Brush both sides of the tortillas lightly with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for about 8 minutes, turning over after 4 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a paper towel lined tray to cool. *It's ok if they're slightly soft as long as they're browned. They will crisp up even more as they cool.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings, or cool completely and store in a tightly sealed contained for 3-4 days.
For more of our family favorite Mexican recipes, try these: