This creamy Dorito Chicken Casserole is an easy dinner recipe your whole family will love. Full of cheesy Dorito chips and a creamy mix of chicken, tomatoes, corn and cheese.
Table of Contents
Dorito Chicken Casserole Ingredients
- Cooked chicken – You need 3 cups of shredded chicken breasts, and you can use Poached Chicken, Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken, or Instant Pot Shredded Chicken. The simplest way I’ve found is to just pick up a rotisserie chicken at the store and pluck the meat off. You’ll get 4-5 cups and can freeze what you don’t use.
- Doritos – For this cheesy dish, I use Nacho Cheese Doritos. You can mix it up with a favorite flavor, like Taco flavored or Cool Ranch Doritos.
- Sour cream – I prefer full fat sour cream for texture and flavor, but plain Greek yogurt could be substituted.
- Condensed cream of chicken soup – Cream of mushroom soup can be substituted.
- Rotel tomatoes – A small can of diced tomatoes with green chiles.
- Corn – Canned or frozen. If you have fresh available to you, go ahead and use that. The 1 can of corn equals about 1.5 cups.
- Spices – Cumin and chili powder.
- Cheddar and Jack cheeses – I highly recommend freshly grated cheese because the pre-shredded has a coating that prevents melting.
How to Make Dorito Chicken Casserole
Be sure to check the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions.
- Preheat the oven and grease a large casserole dish.
- Crush the chips and spread half of them in the bottom of the casserole.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken, sour cream, cream soup, Rotel, corn, spices and half of the cheeses.
- Spread the chicken mixture over the Doritos in the dish, then top with the rest of the crushed chips and the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Rest for 5-10 minutes.
My Doritos Chicken Casserole is super creamy and cheesy. While we love this casserole just on it’s own and usually just serve a green salad on the side, there are a few ways we like to mix things up.
- Serve it over white or brown rice.
- Mix in some cooked pasta, like rotini, before baking.
- Baked potatoes topped with cheesy Doritos Casserole are amazing!
- Change up the flavor by using hot or mild Rotel, or different flavors of Doritos chips.
- Make it extra creamy by adding a little softened cream cheese to the chicken mixture.
- Add a southwestern flair with some taco seasoning and black beans.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: Leftover chicken casserole should be stored in the refrigerator, tightly covered, for 3-4 days.
Freezing: To freeze, place the leftover casserole in a freezer bag and press out as much air as possible. Freeze for up to 6 months. To thaw, place in the fridge overnight.
Reheating: Reheat in the oven, uncovered, at the same temperature, or in the microwave for 60-90 seconds.
More Casserole Recipes to Love
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole
- Ham & Cheese Croissant Breakfast Casserole
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Creamy Potato, Corn & Bacon Casserole
Dorito Chicken Casserole
- 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken breast like from a rotisserie chicken
- 15 ounce bag Nacho Cheese Dorito chips
- 1 cup sour cream
- 20 ounces (2 cans) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 10 ounce Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chiles)
- 15 ounce Can corn drained (or 1.5 cups frozen/fresh)
- 1 cup Freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Freshly grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- Optional garnish: fresh diced tomatoes and thinly sliced green onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Crush chips and place half of them on the bottom of your casserole dish and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sour cream, soup mix, Rotel, corn, cumin, chili powder and half of each of the cheeses. Fold in the shredded chicken until well combined.
- Spread the chicken mixture over the chips in the baking dish. Top with the remain chips and cheese.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Let rest for 5-10 minutes, top with optional garnish and serve.