Last updated on
These Healthy Chicken Fajita Bowls have a bed of rice covered in fajita seasoned chicken, peppers and onions, served with beans and corn. They are a healthy and delicious chicken dinner idea that your whole family will love!
January is such a great time for eating healthy, but I love food too much to sacrifice and eat dinners that I don’t love. These healthy Chicken Fajita Bowls are the best of both worlds – an easy, delicious and healthy chicken dinner idea.
Hi everyone! I am thrilled to be joining the team here at Yellow Bliss Road! My name is Amanda and I blog at Old House to New Home, where I share how I cook, create, and decorate, all while raising two young girls! I hope you stop by and see what I am up to! Today I’m cooking one of my favorite delicious and healthy chicken recipes – Chicken Fajita Rice Bowls!
Healthy Chicken Fajita Bowl Recipe
Today I am sharing a recipe for Healthy Chicken Fajita Bowls. These bowls are hearty, flavorful, and healthy, all while being delicious and family friendly. These are so easy and customizable too, so if you have kids with certain tastes, you can swap out any of the ingredients.
We love Mexican and Tex Mex flavors in our house and I am pretty confident that you can shove just about anything in a taco and get my daughter to eat it. You can only be so creative with tacos though, so I am always trying to find other ways to get the same taco flavors in our dinner but in different forms. I called these naked tacos and she was sold, once she stopped giggling about dinner being naked, of course!
I used poblano peppers in our fajita bowls and they are my absolute favorite pepper to cook with. They aren’t spicy, but have a wonderful smoky flavor. You can find them at just about any grocery store too.
How to Make Healthy Chicken Fajita Bowls
Cook the rice. The base for my chicken fajita bowls is always rice. Because we love to customize, sometimes I make Cilantro Lime Rice and sometimes (as you see pictured) I make my Authentic Mexican Rice. Both recipes are super easy and take just as much time as regular steamed rice, but you can go the plain white or brown rice if you prefer.
Cook the chicken and veggies. Heat some olive oil in a large skillet and cook chicken tenders, onions, and peppers with fajita seasoning. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil while you prepare the rest of the fajita bowl ingredients. I love chicken tenders for this recipe because they cook quickly and don’t require me to cut up raw chicken.
Warm beans and corn. In the same skillet, warm up the corn and black beans, seasoned with some fajita seasoning. This is literally just dumping a can of corn and a can of black beans in the skillet. Be sure to drain and rinse them first. If you don’t like black beans, pinto beans work too. My Slow Cooker Mexican Beans would be really delicious.
Chicken Fajita Bowl Assembly
To assemble your chicken fajita bowl, fill with rice and then top with chicken, onions, peppers, corn, and black beans. Add additional toppings as desired, like sour cream, salsa, avocado slices, cheese, Homemade Flour Tortillas, guacamole or limes. Fresh Pineapple Salsa would be an excellent pairing with these flavors.
Fajita Bowl Recipe Tips
- Regular chicken breasts can be used in place of tenders. Just slice into strips before cooking.
- Make your own fajita seasoning instead of buying the premade packets.
- To really simplify things and really keep the prep time to a minimum, use those easy steam in bag rice packets. You’ll only dirty one pan, and everyone loves an easy clean up dinner.
- Have lots of toppings on hand to make these bowls completely customizable, like avocado, lime wedges, shredded lettuce, sour cream and cheese.
More easy and healthy chicken dinner ideas:
- Baked Chicken Breasts
- Easy Oven Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Homemade Chicken Soup
- Chicken Fajita Salad
- One Pan Chicken Tortilla Skillet Casserole
- Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Garlic Chicken
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Burrito Bowls
And for more Mexican recipes, try these:
- Authentic Mexican Rice
- Ground Turkey and Black Bean Baked Tacos
- Chicken Taco Salad with Salsa Ranch Dressing
Healthy Chicken Fajita Bowls
- 1 pound chicken breast tenderloins
- 2 cups cooked rice white or brown rice, Mexican rice, Cilantro rice
- 1 poblano pepper sliced thin
- 1 red pepper sliced thin
- 1 small onion sliced thin
- 15 ounce canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce canned corn drained
- 1 tablespoon fajita seasoning
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Optional ingredients: shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, salsa, limes
- Preheat a large skillet to medium high heat and add oil. Season chicken, onions, and peppers with half of the fajita seasoning.
- When skillet is hot, add the chicken, peppers, and onions. Cook 3-4 minutes per side, or until chicken is cooked through. Transfer chicken and vegetables to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- To the same skillet, add corn and black beans with the remaining fajita seasoning. Cook, stirring frequently, until warmed through.
- Fill bowls with rice, then top with chicken, onions, peppers, corn, and black beans. Add additional toppings as desired, like sour cream, salsa, avocado and a squeeze of lime.