chickA bed of rice covered in fajita seasoned chicken, peppers and onions, served with beans and corn. These Healthy Chicken Fajita Bowls come in at just under 300 calories a bowl and are a healthy and delicious chicken dinner idea that your whole family will love!
January is such a great time for eating healthy, but I love food too much to sacrifice and eat dinners that I don’t love. These healthy Chicken Fajita Bowls are the best of both worlds – an easy, delicious and healthy chicken dinner idea.
Hi everyone! I am thrilled to be joining the team here at Yellow Bliss Road! My name is Amanda and I blog at Old House to New Home, where I share how I cook, create, and decorate, all while raising two young girls! I hope you stop by and see what I am up to! Today I’m cooking one of my favorite delicious and healthy chicken recipes – Chicken Fajita Rice Bowls!
HEALTHY CHICKEN FAJITA BOWL RECIPE
Today I am sharing a recipe for Healthy Chicken Fajita Bowls. These bowls are hearty, flavorful, and healthy, all while being delicious and family friendly! These are so easy and customizable too, so if you have kids with certain tastes, you can swap out any of the ingredients.
I used poblano peppers in our bowls and they are my absolute favorite pepper to cook with. They aren’t spicy, but have a wonderful smoky flavor. You can find them at just about any grocery store too!
We love Mexican and Tex Mex flavors in our house and I am pretty confident that you can shove just about anything in a taco and get my daughter to eat it! You can only be so creative with tacos though, so I am always trying to find other ways to get the same taco flavors in our dinner but in different forms. I called these naked tacos and she was sold, once she stopped giggling about dinner being naked, of course!
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY CHICKEN FAJITA BOWLS
- Heat some olive oil in a large, hot skillet. Sprinkle chicken tenders, onions, and peppers with fajita seasoning.
- When the skillet is hot, add the chicken, peppers, and onions. Cook for about 6-8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove all ingredients from the pan and set aside. Cover with foil to keep them warm.
- In the same skillet, add corn and black beans and sprinkle with fajita seasoning. Cook for about 4 minutes, or until the beans and corn are warmed through.
- To assemble your chicken fajita bowl, fill with rice and then top with chicken, onions, peppers, corn, and black beans. Add additional toppings as desired.
- You can really keep the prep time to a minimum here by using those easy steam in bag rice packets. Make sure to get the plain white or brown varieties though or else you are adding a lot of unnecessary sodium to your dinner. By using those rice packets, you’ll only dirty one pan, and everyone loves an easy clean up dinner.
- Have lots of toppings on hand to make these bowls completely customizable, like avocado, lime wedges, shredded lettuce, sour cream and cheese.
More easy and healthy chicken dinner ideas:
- Baked Chicken Breasts
- Easy Oven Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Homemade Chicken Soup
- Chicken Fajita Salad
- One Pan Chicken Tortilla Skillet Casserole
- Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Garlic Chicken
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Burrito Bowls
And for more Mexican recipes, try these:
- Authentic Mexican Rice
- Ground Turkey and Black Bean Baked Tacos
- Chicken Taco Salad with Salsa Ranch Dressing
Healthy Chicken Fajita BowlsPrint Pin Rate
- 1 pound chicken breast tenderloins
- 2 cups of cooked white rice
- 1 poblano pepper sliced thin
- 1 red pepper sliced thin
- 1 small onion sliced thin
- 1 can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can of corn drained
- 1 tbsp. fajita seasoning
- 1 tbsp. oil
- Additional optional ingredients: shredded cheese sour cream, avocado, salsa
- Preheat a skillet to medium high heat and add oil. Sprinkle chicken, onions, and peppers with half the fajita seasoning.
- When skillet is hot, add the chicken, peppers, and onions. Cook until 6-8 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove all ingredients from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add corn and black beans. Add the remaining fajita seasoning. Cook for about 4 minutes, or until the beans and corn are warmed through.
- To assemble your bowl, fill with rice and then top with chicken, onions, peppers, corn, and black beans. Add additional toppings as desired.