This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These Healthy Chicken Fajita Bowls have a bed of rice covered in fajita-seasoned chicken, peppers and onions, served with beans and corn. Fajita Rice Bowls are a healthy and delicious chicken dinner idea that your whole family will love!
January is such a great time for eating healthy, but I love food too much to sacrifice and eat dinners that I don’t love. These healthy Chicken Fajita Bowls are the best of both worlds – an easy, delicious and healthy chicken dinner idea.
Today I’m sharing one of my favorite delicious and healthy chicken recipes – Chicken Fajita Rice Bowls!Pin this recipe for later!
Table of Contents
Why I Love This Recipe
Healthy Chicken Fajita Bowl Recipe
Healthy Chicken Fajita Bowls are hearty, flavorful, and healthy, all while being delicious and family-friendly. These are so easy and customizable too, so if you have kids with certain tastes, you can swap out any of the ingredients.
We love Mexican and Tex-Mex flavors from Ground Beef Tacos to Southwest Chicken and Slow Cooker Mexican Beans. You can only be so creative with tacos and rice though, so I am always trying to find other ways to get the same flavors in our dinner but in different forms.
I used poblano peppers in our fajita bowls and they are my absolute favorite pepper to cook with. They aren’t spicy, but have a wonderful smoky flavor. You can find them at just about any grocery store too.
The best part about these bowls is that you can easily customize them to make it less spicy or spicier, swap out black beans for pinto or leave out the peppers if you’re not a fan.
How to Make Healthy Chicken Fajita Bowls
See recipe card below for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
Cook the rice. The base for my chicken fajita bowls is always rice. Because we love to customize, sometimes I make Cilantro Lime Rice and sometimes (as you see pictured) I make my Authentic Mexican Rice. Both recipes are super easy and take just as much time as regular steamed rice, but you can go the plain white or brown rice if you prefer.
Cook the chicken and veggies. Heat some olive oil in a large skillet and cook chicken tenders, onions, and peppers with fajita seasoning. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil while you prepare the rest of the fajita bowl ingredients. I love chicken tenders for this recipe because they cook quickly and don’t require me to cut up raw chicken.
Warm beans and corn. In the same skillet, warm up the corn and black beans, seasoned with some fajita seasoning. This is literally just dumping a can of corn and a can of black beans in the skillet. Be sure to drain and rinse them first. If you don’t like black beans, pinto beans work too. My Slow Cooker Mexican Beans would be really delicious.
How to Assemble
To assemble your chicken fajita bowl, fill with rice and then top with chicken, onions, peppers, corn, and black beans. Add additional toppings as desired, like sour cream, salsa, avocado slices, cheese, Homemade Flour Tortillas, guacamole or limes. Fresh Pineapple Salsa would be an excellent pairing with these flavors.
Fajita Bowl Recipe Tips
- Regular chicken breasts can be used in place of tenders. Just slice into strips before cooking.
- Make your own fajita seasoning instead of buying the premade packets.
- To really simplify things and really keep the prep time to a minimum, use those easy steam in bag rice packets. You’ll only dirty one pan, and everyone loves an easy clean up dinner.
- Have lots of toppings on hand to make these bowls completely customizable, like avocado, lime wedges, shredded lettuce, sour cream and cheese.
More Chicken Dinner Ideas
- Baked Chicken Breasts
- Easy Oven Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Homemade Chicken Soup
- Chicken Fajita Salad
- One Pan Chicken Tortilla Casserole
- Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Garlic Chicken
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Burrito Bowls
Healthy Chicken Fajita Bowls
- 1 pound chicken breast tenderloins
- 2 cups cooked rice white or brown rice, Mexican rice, Cilantro rice
- 1 poblano pepper sliced thin
- 1 red pepper sliced thin
- 1 small onion sliced thin
- 15 ounce canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce canned corn drained
- 1 tablespoon fajita seasoning
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Optional ingredients: shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, salsa, limes
- Preheat a large skillet to medium high heat and add oil. Season chicken, onions, and peppers with half of the fajita seasoning.
- When skillet is hot, add the chicken, peppers, and onions. Cook 3-4 minutes per side, or until chicken is cooked through. Transfer chicken and vegetables to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- To the same skillet, add corn and black beans with the remaining fajita seasoning. Cook, stirring frequently, until warmed through.
- Fill bowls with rice, then top with chicken, onions, peppers, corn, and black beans. Add additional toppings as desired, like sour cream, salsa, avocado and a squeeze of lime.